Health and Safety
To our loyal members,
First, we would like to thank you for your commitment to the J and the role you all play in bringing the community together. Thanks to your commitment the Centres are thriving and have returned to vibrant hubs of community life.
Today, the government updated guidelines to limit the capacity of some of our programming by 50 percent. Fortunately, our JCC’s have been operating under enhanced health and safety protocols, and there will not be a significant impact on your experience at the J.
We will continue to follow our current health and safety protocols and continue to review and adapt our procedures to best serve you. In the coming days you may receive additional communication as we explore:Addition of more classes to better serve our membership
Shifting locations to larger spaces to increase class capacity
Enhanced screening procedures
Additional changes to our booking system
In the meantime, it may be necessary for us to reduce the number of participants allowed in some of our group fitness spaces. To make this process as seamless as possible we will be removing some group fitness class bookings from Sunday, December 19 to Sunday, December 26, and re-opening bookings for the entire week today (December 18) at 5 pm. If your booking is affected, you will be notified by email. Please re-register for the classes you would like to attend at this point.
Your commitment to the J and to our community is the motivation that drives us, and we will continue to adapt as necessary to ensure that the programs and experiences that you invest in will continue to be available for you.We are a resilient community, and we will continue to thrive together!
See you at the J!
Enhanced Vaccine Certificate System
The Ontario government will implement an enhanced COVID-19 vaccine certificate system beginning on September 22, with a QR-code digital verification system to follow on October 22. Under these new guidelines, Ontarians will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two doses plus 14 days) and provide their proof of vaccination as well as proof of identity (such a driver’s licence or health card) to access certain public settings.
As a result, beginning on September 22, all members 12 years of age and older and visitors to JCC fitness facilities – including group exercise classes, the fitness floor, and aquatics area – will be required to show their vaccination receipt (either on mobile or physical) along with government-issued photo ID. In addition, all participants attending the visual arts and adult program and those attending the Leah Posluns Theatre must show proof of vaccination and government id.
We know that this past year and a half has been a year like no other. We have all been forced to change our way of life in the interest of public health and to protect ourselves and each other. At the JCC, our response to COVID-19 is ongoing, and we continue to prioritize the health and safety of our valued members, staff and visitors while taking proactive measures to ensure we are meeting all Public Health and Ministry guidelines.
Ontarians can obtain their proof of immunization by downloading or printing their vaccine receipt from the provincial booking portal, or by calling the Provincial Vaccine Booking Line at 1-833-943-3900. Ontarians who received their first or second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine out of province should contact their local public health unit to record their information and receive proper documentation.
Thank you for your continued support, and commitment to keeping our community strong. We will share any new or updated information with you as it becomes available.
A New Beginning
Our Reopening Task Force is laser-focused on preparing for your arrival and mapping out how best to utilize our 200,000 sq. ft. campus. We’re thrilled to introduce some exciting changes, such as an increased number of outdoor fitness programs, group exercise in the celebration centre and a revamped atrium that will allow for proper physical distancing. Please see below for more updates. Additional details will follow.
Using a combination of directional signage, protective barriers and specially trained, strategically placed staff, we will help to ensure our members maintain a safe physical distance while at the JCC. Our spacious 8000 sq. ft. fitness floor and full-size gymnasiums are just a few of the large spaces that afford us the unique ability to safely space out people and equipment.
- Fitness floor equipment (cardio, machine weights) spaced out to maximize square footage for physical distancing
- New training pods available in the main studio featuring curated fitness programming
- Group fitness classes moved to large, open spaces — such as the Conference Centre and the Gymnasium — to promote physical distancing
- New registration system for booking many types of workouts to minimize high volume member capacity
- Customized mobile app makes registration quick and convenient for users, and reduces wait time
- Defined entries, exits and wayfinding measures
- Physical distancing measures and decals added throughout the facility and in all program spaces
- Reduced daycare classroom cohorts in order per Ministry regulations
- Reduced congregation areas by removing furniture from the atrium and closing the cafeteria, change rooms and showers
- Continued work-from-home for non-front-line staff and virtual meetings
Prior to reopening, each JCC facility will be methodically deep cleaned and disinfected. With participation from our dedicated staff, help from our loyal members and a more robust schedule from our professional cleaners, we will dramatically increase the frequency and attention to detail of cleaning and disinfecting.
- Designated staff members for cleaning
- New daily cleaning protocols
- Daily deep clean
- Deep clean and sanitization before reopening
- Increased daily cleaning and sanitization protocols as per industry and Public Health and Ministry recommendations
- Within 24-hr access to our cleaning vendor’s emergency deep cleaning provisions; back-up emergency cleaning vendor available if needed
- Increased wipes dispensers around the facility
- COVID-19 approved cleaning products
- Hand sanitizing stations located everywhere
- Building refresh – paint, new decals
- HVAC upgrades
We care deeply about the wellbeing of our staff and JCC members. Staff will be provided with PPE to wear onsite and members will be encouraged to wear their own PPE while inside the facility. Health screening, including non-invasive temperature checks, will be completed upon arrival.
- Daily wellness checks and temperature checks upon entry for staff and members/visitors
- Temperature check using non-contact forehead thermometer
- Member/visitor waivers
- Increased alcohol-based hand sanitizing stations around the facility
- Nano skins on high touch surface buttons
- Plexiglass in high contact and screening areas
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Established COVID-19 reporting procedures in consultation with Public Health
- Systems for contact tracing and record-keeping
- Updated staff roles and responsibilities, and health and safety policies
- Updated staff sickness procedures
- Nanoskin barrier technology installation on many surfaces
- Wayfinding and branding throughout building – clear, safe, easy-to-see paths for people
- Plexiglass PPE barriers installed in many areas
To help ensure safe physical distancing measures and an overall seamless JCC experience, your workout times will be reserved in advance. Again, our spacious campus gives us confidence in our ability to accommodate most requests.
- Booking available and required for all classes as well as for access to the gym floor (cardio, weight, individual workouts, etc.)
- Only members will be able to use the JCC reservation system
- Members will be limited to one booking reservation per day, per discipline
Book a JCC fitness class and gym access today!
Or download the "JCC Toronto" App
Due to regulations, some programming and amenities may not be available immediately. As restrictions lift, we will add to the program schedules and open additional areas of the facility. We are very excited to offer more outdoor classes and virtual programs and to take a dip in our pools as soon as we can.
- Scheduled outdoor boot camp and yoga classes will be available
- Expanded outdoor fitness events and programming
- Virtual programming: Offering live fitness classes available only through Virtual JCC which features 10-15 weekly classes along with a weekly “special” where we showcase a guest
At the JCC, we prioritize the health and safety of our members, and are doing everything we can to make sure you feel comfortable. We care about your wellbeing and have taken immediate proactive measures to ensure you feel safe at our JCC facilities.
- Align all staff on safety protocols and procedures that will protect health and safety of all staff and members, and meet Public Health and Ministry guidelines and requirements
- COVID-19 emergency response plan has been developed and sent to all staff
- COVID-19 staff handbook with updated policies and procedures protocols is being developed as well as staff training
- Developed new systems for staff communications
- All staff trained on new cleaning protocols and operating procedures
- Phased approach to opening, ensuring we take all safety precautions into consideration
- No cash – digital payments only if needed
- Detailed protocols / contact tracing if needed
- Upgraded security protocols for building